Christmas is just around the corner! It’s time to get that special truck driver in your life a gift to show your love and appreciation. Let’s face it: life on the road for an OTR driver can be long and even a little lonely at times—even if pets are allowed to come along for the ride. Fortunately, there are lots of thoughtful gifts for truck drivers that can make every dedicated or regional lane they drive more manageable.
But before we get into our list of truck driver gift ideas, it’s important to put yourself in the shoes of your loved one who spends a lot of their waking hours behind the wheel of a big rig. What do they like? What would they appreciate the most? What could they use that would make them feel a little more at home during their travels?
With that in mind, here are some thoughtful (and affordable!) ideas to show the special truck driver in your life that you care:
- Slow Cooker– While there are a lot of really good diners out there, nothing beats some good ol’ fashioned home cooking. Just mix some simple ingredients together at the beginning of the day, let it marinate for a few hours, and presto! While it’s important to not drain an APU’s battery too much, it’s also important to be able to have a healthy and savory meal to look forward to. And you can get them for a pretty low price!
- Fast Food Gift Cards—Okay. Maybe this isn’t all that original, but if you know that your favorite trucker loves a certain kind of fast food, why not just give them what they love? Fast food gift cards make good gifts for a truck driver. You can find discounted ones here.
- First Aid Kits—It always pays to be prepared. These travel-sized first aid kits come with all the necessities to take care of a knick, cut, or other accident that can happen on the road.
- Compact Coolers—Noticing a food/beverage theme? That’s because making a stop can sometimes be easier said than done-and expensive! Compact coolers can keep drinks, sandwiches, and healthy snacks fresh while on the go.
- Electric Blankets— Cozy up on cold nights and sleep better with a handy electric blanket. Perfect for people or pets in the unlikely case that your Webasto heater doesn’t get the job done.
- Massage Cushions— Sitting all day can get uncomfortable after a while. Give the gift of comfort with a portable massage cushion so that when you pull over for a break, you can become refreshed and rejuvenated. Who wouldn’t like a massage on command?
- GPS System—This one is kind of a no-brainer, but a GPS system built specifically for truckers can be a saving grace. Some people prefer their smart phone, some prefer a GPS specifc to their truck. Avoid traffic for quicker routes and get to your destination faster with a helping hand from modern technology.
- Battery Powered Lights—Sometimes something as simple as a battery-powerd light that you can stick onto any surface is just what a driver needs.
- A pet—Alright, well this one may come with a bit more responsibility, but drivers can get lonely out there. And nothing beats the face of someone who just got a new puppy (a.k.a a new best friend!) Of course at LTI man’s best friend is welcome on board to join the fleet!
- Some new LTI gear—Check out our company store to see if there’s anything you’d like. Our inventory is moving fast recently so act soon! (We’ll hopefully have more inventory in before the big holiday!)
What do you think of our list? Are there other items you think would be great gifts for truck drivers that we left out? Let us know on social media!